My first-hand experience working with local school campuses has given me unique insight to the issues facing our students and teachers on a daily basis. My plan is to establish regular meetings between city council, school board, and parents to collaborate on safe and academically-enriched opportunities for all students. Identify new resources to generate education-related programs, such as civic engagement activities including intern/extern/apprenticeship programs for eligible students. An improved education helps students, improves our economy and home values.
- 4-Year Private College in Antioch – raise the education level in our community, improving the educational opportunities for our youth in a multi-disciplinary, 4-year, private, liberal arts college, while improving the culture as well as property values.
- Job Training – work with local businesses and Los Medanos College for job training and retraining for Antioch workers.
- Antioch YES – Youth Employment Services – for after school and summertime jobs, internships and apprenticeships with local businesses and at City Hall. Work with Antioch Chamber of Commerce and Central Labor Council to establish a website and database for local businesses and students to use to offer or apply for and fill the positions.
- Teach Antioch History in our schools. Work with the Historical Society Museum.
- After School Education Programs – like Math Intensive Program and mentoring programs for students.
Ensuring equal educational opportunities to everyone no matter their socioeconomic status. Adopting preventative measures that put our youth first. Rebuilding the safety that one existed within our schools.
Working with youth
Gabriel's work with youth began as he was working to restore the relationships with his own children. Going into Deer Valley High School allowed Gabriel to see the challenges that our youth have been facing for so many years. He worked to actively reduce violence among students and to demonstrate how to make a difference, regardless of the life you have been given.
"I love working with young people. What began with restoring the relationships I have with my children, became a calling to mentor you people. There are so many challenges they face, and sometimes feel forced to make certain decisions. I here to listen, to share and to show them a different path."
- Gabriel Makinano